- “There’s one weapon, two originals. I wonder what’s going to happen,” Plec mused coyly. “That is their big conundrum. As soon as we get back from the hiatus, we’re going to start asking that question and seeing what our characters decide to do about it will be pretty big.”
- “Damon will stop at nothing to insure Elena’s survival,” said Plec. “Stefan is sort more willing to let Elena have a voice in the process. Damon doesn’t necessarily like what Elena has to say.” — “The threat that Elena might not live to see her 18th birthday is definitely weighing heavily on them,” teased Plec.
- “Damon and Elena’s closeness is a big obstacle in Stefan and Elena’s relationship,” said Plec. “Not because of how Stefan feels about it because he’s fully aware that Damon has feelings for Elena. It’s the decisions Damon makes and the actions Damon takes to protect Elena, which are in direct conflict often with the way Stefan would like the situation to be handled.”
- “Stefan is in the ultimate predicament, which is that he has this wonderfully solid, beautiful love story with Elena, but he’s also got a very complicated love story with his brother. So when he’s trying to achieve both relationships successfully, there’s always going to be a problem of ‘I can’t kick my brother’s ass because he’s after my girl without losing my relationship with my brother, but I’m not going to let my brother go after my girl.’ ”
- “The future is complicated for them,” shared Plec. “When we first come back from hiatus, the very first question is, ‘How is he going to ultimately handle this information, and what is Caroline going to do about it?’ And the answer to that, which is in the first episode back, really sets the stage for some big relationship issues that will take us to the end of the season.” She went on to tease, “We can’t have a triangle without your third point. So one day, we will be seeing Tyler again.”
Source: LA Times