- Jennifer Hudson will appear in at least three episodes, playing a two-time Tony-award winner looking to change the direction of her career.
- She has ties to Karen (Katharine McPhee), Ivy (Megan Hilty) and Derek (Jack Davenport).
- The Oscar and Grammy winner will be "singing a lot" of original songs, says executive producer Neil Meron, but he raved that the "really big high point in the first episode" is a classic — the recently released "On Broadway" duet with McPhee.
- Real-life Broadway director Kenny Leon (Aida, Stick Fly, A Raisin in the Sun) makes a cameo alongside Hudson. "I appear as myself," he says. "I offer Jennifer Hudson's character a job, but I can't say more than that!"
- Besides guest stars and a revamped cast, audiences can expect a whole lot of music — in all venues (off-Broadway and the concert stage)